I’ve been feeling for a while the need to reassess my wardrobe, and what I wear.
My clothing needs have changed so much over the past few years. I’ve got that thing where I’ve lots of pretty clothes, but actually making outfits with them doesn’t work. So I just end up wearing the things I know work together, pretty much all the time.
And I’m bored!
I want to make my wardrobe work harder for me.
Thinking of my clothing like employees… Currently I have about 25% hard working, feel good, look good types and the other 75%? Well, they only want to work when the weather is fine or when, that coat is also working or those shoes… Basically 75% of my wardrobe is lazy.
I love clothes, I want to fall back in love with my clothes. Want to be excited about what I’m putting on that day. I previously thought that meant, buying all the colourful and patterned (and vintage) things. Things that caught my eye.
But what if I can only wear that blouse with that skirt, what if those boots only work with one pair of jeans? What if that cape only works with one handbag (and not a practical one).
Well, this is where I’ve found myself. Most days I dress without thinking, grabbing things I know work together.
I’m reading The Curated Closet by Anuschka Rees after being a fan of her blog. And around the same time as I started the book (just after Christmas) I discovered Style Bee and her capsule wardrobe challenges (see below for the link). In fact, she was a couple of days away from starting her #winter10x10 challenge so I thought- why not! I probably wear that anyway- how hard can it be?
Well readers, it was harder than I thought. The idea is that you are making the most of the 10 items by mixing them together in ways you hadn’t considered before. Making the most of every item in your chosen 10, making them work hard- like they deserve to be in this exclusive 10 item capsule wardrobe.
So my 10 items were;
- Tu black ankle boots
- New Look Tall denim shirt
- Vintage wool black pencil midi skirt
- Joanie lipstick jumper
- Primark black polo neck
- La Redoute rust metallic jumper
- M&S Tall jeans slim leg
- Gap jeans straight leg
- Tu rust cotton turtle neck
- Boden Square tee (navy with pattern)
**I didn’t include accessories/jewellery, underwear (obvs), vests (its winter), coats (again, its winter) and tights (hello winter).**
These are four looks I quickly snapped, and below are some of my favourite details and colours.
My takeaways from doing this are;
- Denim is great- hard-wearing, looks good without needing to be washed all the time
- I can wear boots with a skirt and not look like a witch (go me!)
- Thermal tights actually work
- Layering is the way forward esp in Winter
- These colours really suit me
- I rediscovered this skirt.
Toward the end of the challenge, I was bored again.
- I didn’t choose enough variety of pieces? So I was wearing virtually the same silhouette every day
- I think I should’ve substituted a pair of my jeans for a pattern dress maybe, or skirt, something more to layer
- More shirts, less jumpers- again about the layering and ease of mixing stuff
The two biggest things I’ve learnt- which seem obvious, but are easier said than done are;
- I shouldn’t put up with things being to short- either in the leg or the arm. A couple of the jumpers are 3/4 sleeved and just not warm enough for this time of year. Also the M&S jeans (despite being their longest) are too short. They slide down my hips so look long enough but then my crotch looks really low (!!)
- Items that don’t fit properly, aren’t comfortable or aren’t working for the actual season shouldn’t be in my current wardrobe- so I need to be stricter about this when buying clothing in the future.
I feel like this challenge has made me much more discerning about my clothes. I’m working through The Curated Closet again too, and I cant wait to have a big wardrobe sort out.
Have you ever done anything like this? Or do you already dress from a capsule wardrobe?
Here’s the original 10×10 challengeSign up for my Creative Notes Letters, a personal letter to my readers. I want to keep in touch without depending on social media as I'm trying to use it less, and I know many of you are too CLICK HERE