As you may know a couple of months ago I closed down the vintage lifestyle and events site vintagemanchester.com, and merged all the content into this blog.
It wasn’t an easy decision, but now I’ve done it I know it was the right one for me.
In this post I will pass on some tips for merging WordPress blogs, or combining multiple blogs. I’ll share the problems I had and show you solutions that worked for me.
My first port of call which I’m sure is many people’s first thought too, Google it!
These talk a lot about about how to merge blogs and not make a mess in the process, do read them as they cover things like tags and categories which I’m not going to cover here.
The basic steps are as follows;
- In Tools, got to Export blog- select the ALL CONTENT option.
- With the CSV file you have just downloaded, you then go to the site where you want to put the content.
- In the Tools menu go to Import and select where you are importing from, WordPress in this case.
- Then click Upload and Import and wait.
- That should do it in most cases.
In my case I had two problems- my theme “Swift” wasn’t playing ball, it took a second pair of eyes to see this and a helping hand- big thanks to Megan for this.
The other problem was all my images were still over at vintagemanchester.com- I panicked momentarily but then after much searching found a Plugin called Import External Images, an absolute godsend! Took a few sessions of importing as I had so many images over there but it worked.